Tuesday, May 8, 2007

See you Later Alligator

Today is my last day of work. Last night was my going away happy hour, which led to my going away shots, which led to my going away hangover this morning.

I walked into the office to a brilliant poster of Italy. Attached to it are cards with Italian phrases and on the back of each card someone in my office wrote me a little message.

I am not good at goodbyes. I would much rather just avoid them all together. Walk out like it was any other normal day, except in my mind know that it isn't any other day, it is the last day. Goodbyes seem to final. And final freaks me out.

When I was little I loved having all of the attention on me. Birthdays were the best, but let's be honest, I would take being the center of attention anyday. Now, I am a little more content flying under the radar. I get embarrassed in a way, when all of the attention is on me. It is humbling, seeing people go out of their way to make me feel so good. And I guess that is what I don't know how to react to. Because I know that my words will never quite be able to convey how much it all means to me, how truly special I feel and how everyday I think how lucky I am to have the amazing people that are in my life.

So rather than try, I would just rather smile and wave on my way out, knowing that I am taking some pretty amazing memories with me.

No comments: